Friday, November 26, 2010

The Chance to breathe 1...

 He continued the informative though now irrelevant discussion about Lai and the facts of his case, knowing full well that what I was really concerned with were the content of his epistle. Ten minutes, or what seemed to us 10 hours later, Femi made a detour and parked in a discreet corner in one of the byroads of Adebayo Doherty Road. His voice was shaky but his body was strong as he looked at me searchingly, questioning the motive of my silence. I had to break loose...now or never. This was my moment.  But as I  shaped my lips to utter the feelings of my heart my voice evades me, my sari clings to my body and I go limp. Thankfully, he sees this and blurts, “Show me a sign that you will stay...” As if instinctively, I take his hands and wring them round my neck, and plant a timid but moist kiss on his ear and the words begin to flow...yes...yes...If that is what you still want...More than life he added. We shared the most heartfelt, Electric-shock inducing kiss EVER-------by my standards at least...laughing almost out loud in the middle of it just because the tingle was more like a tickle...or a little bit of both...

The rest of the night went annoyingly on...at Lai’s there was a party to celebrate the legal win and we just mingled with the crowd like we owned it all; after all, Mr Oyeyemi was in fact a legal guru like no other and he was by all means worthy of it...and I was introduced as “a close friend...” so we owned it. His intro of me as a friend was a good thing I thought...who wants to be seen as a senior partner’s wishful partner after 29 hours? And as a mere student of the trade? Not this one. I just wanted to go home, shower and prepare for church and the drive home to the family tomorrow...it was a Saturday night...

No comments:

Post a Comment