Saturday, February 26, 2011

The voice you never hear

Adanna lay still and happy as I disentangled my body from hers. Eight am. The doorbell rang and I thought it best to answer it without waking her...Alas who was at the door but Tinuola!
How did she find me here?? She was my secretary. And no, I didn’t have a fling with her. She had trailed me here it turned out; soon after we had left because a certain relative of Eno’s unknown to us had spotted us leaving for Calabar last night and that had resulted in a storm of the Chambers by the aggrieved family asking to be told where her boss had taken their bride. She had covered for me though by saying she was unaware and that Dana had come to the Chambers to seek a Lawyer to underwrite her signing of publishing rights under the Pseudonym WINa A, for her new ghost novel 3 hours before their arrival and that she had proof of this .I’ve got to hand it to Tinu, she was abreast of the actual details from watching happenings around the Chambers, SoirĂ©es and all that and she neither asked questions or gave info. A true legal exec. Dad had wanted us to tie the knot just after I was drafted into the firm but we didn’t click as more than friends and we knew it was best to stay as such and right now I’m happy for it. I pranced around the Living room area while Tinu sat down patiently on the sofa, blending into the stillness of our surroundings. Just then, my princess woke up feather headed and filled with love in her eyes when she stopped short of calling me darling upon seeing Tinu. She looked at me intently trying to come to terms with the intruder; who sensed this and related fearlessly the ordeal of the previous night. “Tell them I left with my lawyer for the meeting and that I’ll be back in a week”, Dana replied.  “And if they push it, I’ll go home in 3 days-WITH Femi. I shuddered at the thought of how soon she was willing to put everything on the line for me. Does she know how easy it is for her to just marry this guy and live happily ever after?? Yes she doesn’t love him but he worships her and he still sends shivers through her innermost being. According to her, he would all but touch her and send her to highest heaven-but it would be short-lived as she would act up and call for me by his side. He’d vex and nag her over it for weeks, but as he worshipped her, she only had to let out a giggle and act pretty while he but held her hand and he was on top of the world again.  Asked why she couldn’t love him and she said it was because her heart was already where it never wanted to leave...With me... She gave a reason that made me sure she was mine.
Even pain the thought of you pulls me through.
Every morning, you make my joy new
As refreshing as the morning dew
Are life’s priceless lessons I learn from you
Make me feel like a Rose in spring
-----------------------------------------

And now...to Tinapa by boat. Those Hollandaise pieces won’t buy themselves. I’m proposing tonight...The ring has been paid for .Diamond and Sapphire. She once told me she didn’t care about the kind of stuff she got because it was all about the love for her. Agreed but I know that they will please her though, Na Hausa pikin she be con get Igbo blood join am so me I sabi sey as e no dey find my moni reach I no fit dull this runs.
P.s Can you keep a secret?
Femi.


No comments:

Post a Comment