Saturday, February 26, 2011

What will it be? How could he ask me what would it be? Was I a magician? Could I just faint and cancel the traditional wedding? I paced intently round my room for what I found out from mum were twenty uninterrupted minutes-and this is a girl that can’t exercise for more than 25 at a stretch. I intently searched my mind for the smoothest way to get away .I Looked at my searching mother, smiled and let my mouth open while I picked up an already packed bag filled with a black silk casual evening gown, flat pumps and a matching purse. It also had a fresh set of clothes for the next few days, even though I’d have to wear my denim pants twice but that’s the least of the issues now.”Mum I’m going out. I know it’s quite impromptu but I have to.” At that exact moment, I text Femi. “I’ll be @ yours in 1 hour. Get dressed. Book Aero tickets. Calabar tonight. Don’t ask; just do as I tell you.” Mum looked at the bag slung on my shoulder. “Don’t you have a smaller bag for this your unplanned outing? When will you be back? What do I tell your people? ““Let me worry about that mum---no tell them I said I needed to sign some things and pick up stuff for work.” A quick peck on her cheek and I’m off to the Island. By taxi, to avoid suspicion. I also made a quick stop at a glo shop to pick up the only sim that worked at my final destination and a number that nobody knew.  Femi looked distraught as I sauntered into his house. I smiled and told him I wasn’t married yet; to which he heaved a sigh of relief. He had booked the tickets as I instructed and as I had just handed in my latest Ghost novel which was to be called Under the Amarillo Tree, I had paid for one of the villa apartments in advance. We were ready.
At the airport, I spotted Ini, Eno’s cousin who was to be heading to my house for an after party. #WeBlessGod4ArmaniShades. She didn’t see me. We flew into Calabar in an hour. By 3pm we were on a five hour trip to paradise.


                                                          ***

We got into our Chalet exhausted, hungry and in need of a shower. I had asked the Concierge to get us some Chocolate powder and fresh milk from the dairy. Obudu was to be our home for the next seven days. I went to have a bath only to find out that my Jacuzzi was filled with lather and fresh rose petals...it smelt as though I had stepped into a slice of heaven as I allowed all of my being be numb to everything else in my life-Eno and his family who I had albeit heartlessly left to feel unwanted, my parents; well thankfully they won’t really feel the disgrace as they never really wanted the marriage anyway and I had given a tangible reason for my absence and Femi my love who I had left to find his heart while I fraternised with a man I presently despise...

Oh love and his feigned demise...

No comments:

Post a Comment